Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A letter of support!

Here's a really well written letter from a member of the group that will be very important to making hens legal in Westerville: the non-chicken owning neighbors!

Talk to your neighbors, friends and family members-have them read this and write one of their own!

Westerville Planning Commissionc/o City of Westerville Planning and Zoning
64 East Walnut Street
Westerville, OH 43081


Re: A positive note about
CHICKEN KEEPERS in WestervilleAs a happy Westerville resident of many years, I look for opportunities to keep our city on track with modern updates and improvements.

I believe we are on the ‘cutting edge’ with parks and green spaces and contemporary environmental trends.  I’m proud to live in a progress-oriented community with fine leadership and visibility.

After investigating with interest the Westerville Chicken Keepers’ philosophy and agenda, I’m convinced this is a solid idea with excellent prospects for our city.  While I may not be inclined to keep chickens myself, I find these people full of creative and constructive ideas ... and very civic minded.  Properly designed and administered, I feel their ideas will be a major step for Westerville in encouraging people to develop independent resources and in fostering self-sufficiency among our citizens.

Of course, there are some issues that will need to be addressed, as with any new endeavor.  Noise control, sanitation, proper space and environment, air and water quality, etc.  Based on what I’ve learned about these citizens, I would trust them to present a workable, controlled and people-friendly format for their proposal, perhaps based upon other communities that have successfully implemented their ideas.

Once these criteria are identified and satisfied, I feel there would be no negatives to chicken keeping whatsoever.  Our Westerville WITH chickens would be no different from our Westerville WITHOUT chickens ... except that we will have taken another quantum leap in maintaining our reputation as one of America’s best and most forward looking communities.

Please give this idea serious consideration.

Thank you!


Steve Erwin

No comments:

Post a Comment