Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Dreaded HOA

Westerville City Manager Dave Collinsworth and I have been having a very informative email converstaion about the chicken issue. He reminded me that even IF Council adopts a Chicken Ordinance, there would still be the HOA question to resolve. How well aware I am of my HOA! Here's how I replied:
I have to say that I am greatly disappointed with the reaction of my local HOA. I sent a message to the board hoping to open a dialog, to address any questions or concerns, since I believe that most objections to any new idea come out of lack of information and understanding rather than real knowledge.    What I got from them was the short letter that I know was forwarded to you and members of council-rather than speaking to me, I was hit over the head with rules. I don't know these people, they have never introduced themselves or done one neighborly thing. Yet they hold sway over how I use my property. As a payer of a mortgage and a tax bill that bothers me a great deal.
IF I had to venture an opinion, my theory on why the HOA is objecting would not be the chickens themselves-any rational person can see that there is nothing to complain about. The HOA recognizes that if chickens are made legal, that would be the first step to losing much of their power and authority. First chickens, then real goats, concrete geese, lawn jockeys, garden gnomes, purple shutters, a planter bed made of an old rowboat or claw-footed bath tub, a driveway basketball hoop, a concrete parking pad for an RV. Soon McDot  Farms would no longer look like a cookie cutter colony of clones, but a real neighborhood. The south end of Mainsail drive would look just like those people up at the north end of the street who don't have an HOA, and I say all the better for it. I regret not buying at that end of the street,
I know for a certain fact back yard chickens are not a source of odor, noise or other problems. I am not asking  my neighbors to "put up" with any thing-though I put up with their dogs, their lawn chemicals, their vehicles blocking my driveway, their pool parties, their teen-agers leaving condoms and cigarette butts in my yard.  I do my part to be a good neighbor, and am rewarded with cold indifference when I ask my community to be open minded about a new idea.
Had ONE the HOA officers knocked on my door, met me face to face, listened to what I have to say, and then said "I am not convinced" I would have given up this project. I am glad to say I will keep at work on it. It will be a help to other neighborhoods that don't have an HOA-and I plan to live in one of those just as soon as I can.

It is at times like this that I want to seek out the real estate agent who helped us buy this house and wring his neck. I never heard about an HOA until we were at the closing table, and had to sign the dreaded deed restrictions. My question of "What's an HOA" was answered with  "Nothing really, a club that organizes the block watch and the Fourth of July picnic".
How wrong he was ! How wrong I was to trust him!
Buyer Beware-never buy in an HOA neighborhood-they will tell you when to feed your kids, change your socks  or kiss your spouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment